Friday, December 7, 2007

Love is not equal to $$ spent

Being that it's the Christmas/giving season, I've been doing a lot of thinking about our current way of gifting. Consumerism has taken over the season and left us with less joy and less in our wallets. Why is this? Since when has the amount we spend on someone equal the amount we love them? That's how the current state of gifting looks to me, anyway.

Businesses focus on this idea, too. If you notice the advertisements on tv this time of year, they all seem to point out that if you don't buy [insert name of obscenely expensive item] for the ones you love, you clearly don't love them enough. This is painfully obvious in jewelry commercials... you know "let her know you love her by buying her [thousands of dollars worth of jewelry]." Would I feel more loved if I received said item, or would I feel more loved if my husband gave me something a bit more personal - that is, something that required a bit more thought and quite likely less money? I believe I'd feel better with a spontaneous (or at least surprise) event than having another rock on my finger. If it truly is the thought that counts, what happened to gifts that require thought over money?

*sigh* This idea has really been haunting me the past few Christmases.

No comments: